QuickBooks service discontinuation policy and upgrade information
Live technical support and add-on business services such as payroll, credit card processing, QuickBooks Email, and online banking will be discontinued for QuickBooks for Windows 2009, QuickBooks 2009 for Mac, and a few other products as of May 31, 2012.
We are committed to developing easy, straightforward financial tools that help you today and grow with you tomorrow. But it’s a balancing act – making QuickBooks better and easier to use while still supporting older versions. So we offer support for the current version of QuickBooks and the two previous versions.
This article explains what service discontinuation means to your business and provides information on upgrading to the latest version of QuickBooks.
Products affected by service discontinuation as of May 31, 2012, are listed in the table below. If you don’t make use of live technical support or any of our add-on services, and are happy with your current version of QuickBooks, you can continue to use it.
If you are using a product affected by service discontinuation and want to maintain access to live technical support and add-on services, you’ll need to upgrade to the latest version of QuickBooks as soon as possible.
As services to older versions are scheduled to be discontinued, we notify affected customers in advance by mail or email and through in-product notifications and information on this web site, such as this article. Please keep an eye out for updates on our future plans as they become available.
Pricing and upgrade information
For pricing and to learn more about QuickBooks 2012, use these links:
Or give us a call if you have concerns:
- QuickBooks Pro or Premier (Windows): 866.676.9670
- QuickBooks for Mac: 866.676.9670
- QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions: 800.450.7498
We want to work with you to make sure that your upgrade experience is easy, fast, and as cost-effective as possible.
QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Simple Start 2009 and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 9
QuickBooks Payroll services
Assisted Payroll: After May 31, 2012, QuickBooks no longer automatically calculates correct payroll taxes, provides payroll forms, or allows you to send your payroll data. Your subscription is inactivated and tax forms are no longer filed.
Basic, Standard, or Enhanced Payroll: After May 31, 2012, QuickBooks no longer automatically calculates correct payroll taxes or provides payroll tax forms. Your paychecks may be inaccurate. Your subscription is inactivated and you will receive a prorated refund for the unused portion of your Payroll subscription.
Employee Organizer: Employee Organizer Compliance Updates are no longer available.Credit Card Processing
Merchant Service: You will receive a message indicating that the service is no longer available. You will not be able to process credit card transactions through QuickBooks 2009, QuickBooks Credit Card Processing Kit 2009, and QuickBooks Invoice Manager 2009. This message includes instructions for processing credit card transactions outside of QuickBooks.
Terminal Download: If you are a terminal customer, you will still be able to process credit cards through your terminal, but you will not be able to download transactions into QuickBooks.
Automatic Credit Card Billing: Your automatic credit card billing service is discontinued and you will not be able to download transactions into your QuickBooks 2009 software. Your customer profiles in the Automatic Credit Card Billing system are deleted and you do not have access to the data you entered.Bill Pay
You will receive an error message instructing you to contact technical support, and you will no longer be able to connect to your financial institution to pay bills.Billing Solution (formerly QuickBooks Online Billing)
You will get a message indicating that the service is no longer available. The message will include upgrade instructions.Online Banking
You will receive an error message during an attempt to download transactions, send online payments, or send online transfers. The exact error message depends on your download method. For example, you may receive “QuickBooks is unable to verify the Financial Institution Information for this Download.”QuickBooks Email
After May 31, 2012, you will no longer be able to use the QuickBooks Email service to send sales receipts, credit memos, purchase orders, reports, and forms. If you choose not to upgrade, you have 2 options:
- You can email directly from QuickBooks 2009 using your Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Mail account (works with Outlook 2007, 2003, 2002, or 2000).
- You can email forms and reports as .pdf files using your own email account, but not directly from QuickBooks.
Learn how to save forms as .pdf files.Third-party products
We do not anticipate the discontinuation of QuickBooks 2009 and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 9 to cause any problems with the QuickBooks compatible software from the Intuit Developer Network. You can see a list of this software at the Intuit Marketplace.Enterprise Solutions Full Service Plan (FSP)
If you are using QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions 9 and have an active Full Service Plan, you will continue to receive support until the expiration of your plan. However, it’s important to always install the latest version of Enterprise Solutions (which you receive as a part of the Full Service Plan) to ensure uninterrupted support.
QuickBooks for Mac 2009
You will see an error message when you try to download transactions, send online payments, or send online transfers. The error message you see depends on your download method. For example, you may see the message “QuickBooks is unable to verify the Financial Institution Information for this Download.”
Credit Card Processing Kit 2009
You will see an error message when you try to download transactions, send online payments, or send online transfers. The error message you see depends on your download method. For example, you may see the message “QuickBooks is unable to verify the Financial Institution Information for this Download.”Billing Solution
You will get a message indicating that the service is no longer available. The message will include upgrade instructions.
Invoice Manager 2009
You will get a message indicating that the service is no longer available, and you will not be able to process credit card transactions through QuickBooks 2009, QuickBooks Credit Card Processing Kit 2009, and QuickBooks Invoice Manager 2009. This message will include instructions for processing credit card transactions outside of QuickBooks. If you are a terminal customer, you will still be able to process credit cards through your terminal, but you will not be able to download transactions into QuickBooks.Billing Solution
You will get a message indicating that the service is no longer available. The message will include upgrade instructions.
Point of Sale 8.0
Support for installation, upgrades, error messages, and product defects
Support for installation, upgrades, error messages, and product defects is available only for currently supported versions of QuickBooks.
Replacement CDs, manuals, and live support are no longer available. If you are still using an unsupported product and you see a message that you need to reinstall your product, you can access the software download online.Active QuickBooks Care Protection Plan with automatic renewal
Monthly renewal: If you have an active QuickBooks Care Protection Plan that automatically renews monthly (such as the QuickBooks Care Protection Plan with Monthly Billing), your plan will be automatically canceled on the next renewal date after May 31, 2012, unless you upgrade to QuickBooks 2012. In addition, any included services, such as data recovery and free Online Backup, will be canceled unless you upgrade.
Annual renewal: If you have an active QuickBooks Care Protection Plan that automatically renews each year (such as the QuickBooks Care Protection Plan with Annual Billing), you will continue to receive live support and any service included in your QuickBooks Care Protection Plan until the plan’s expiration date. At that time, if you are still using QuickBooks 2009, your QuickBooks Care Protection Plan will be automatically canceled and will not renew. In addition, any included services, such as data recovery and free Online Backup, will be canceled as well.Live telephone support on a pay-per-use basis
If you want to receive live support on a pay-per-use basis (One-Time Support) after May 31, 2012, you will need to have a currently supported version of QuickBooks (2012, 2011, or 2010). You can still get answers to common questions by searching the QuickBooks Support web site if you chose not to upgrade, but we do not provide live support for products affected by service discontinuation.
We make every effort to provide customer support for registration and licensing for older versions of QuickBooks under Intuit’s standard terms and conditions, if that data is available. Unfortunately, we cannot assure that we will be able to register, provide keycodes, or offer data and password recovery for older versions of QuickBooks.
Similarly, although we are not able to provide replacement CDs, disks, or manuals for unsupported versions of QuickBooks, we do provide download files back to QuickBooks 2005.
- System requirements. Check the system requirements to learn whether your current system will support the latest version of QuickBooks:
- Difference between the 2009 and 2012 products. QuickBooks 2012 has new tools and features that give you faster access to the information you need and make your everyday tasks more efficient. Find out what’s new since your version on the What’s New page for QuickBooks 2012 for Windows or Mac. You can also watch videos about QuickBooks 2012 and find out more about how it can help your business. Watch the What’s new in QuickBooks 2012 demos.
- Learning QuickBooks 2012. You will notice a few changes in appearance, but the basic tasks and methods are still the same. You can take advantage of the Learning Center Tutorials in QuickBooks 2012 to learn features that are new to you.
- Company file conversion. When you upgrade, you are prompted to convert your company file so it will work with your new product. We take great precautions during this process to protect your data. For example, QuickBooks verifies the integrity of your data file and helps you perform a backup before the upgrade process begins.
- Upgrade process and assistance. After you complete your order for QuickBooks 2012, you will receive an email with a download link and instructions. You can also refer to step-by-step instructions on the Install Center. You can always call 866.676.9670 for help if you need assistance getting started. Frequently Asked Questions about Installing QuickBooks may also be helpful.
- Time required. In most cases, you can update QuickBooks and your company file in less than an hour. The larger your company file, the longer it takes. After you install QuickBooks 2012 or QuickBooks for Mac 2012, you will be prompted to register.
If you already have a QuickBooks Care Protection Plan for QuickBooks 2009, when you upgrade to QuickBooks 2012 you can take advantage of our QuickBooks Premium installation service at no charge. With this service, an expert will install QuickBooks 2012 for you, back up your data, and give you a guided tour of the product. Call 866.676.9670 to upgrade to QuickBooks 2012 and access this service.
If you do not have a QuickBooks Care Protection Plan for QuickBooks 2009, you can still take advantage of the QuickBooks Premium installation service when you upgrade to 2012. To do so, you can purchase either a monthly or an annual QuickBooks Care Protection Plan for QuickBooks 2012 (which includes the service) or you can pay a one-time fee of $24.95 to use the Premium installation service. Call 866.676.9670 to upgrade and ask the agent about this service. Learn more about the QuickBooks Premium installation service online.
- Try all the new features in QuickBooks 2012 by signing up for the new QuickBooks Pro Plus subscription plan free for 30 days.
- When you are ready to upgrade, or if you want to talk with an agent before you upgrade, use one of these links or give us a call:
- Sometimes our retail partners can offer better deals than we can. We want you to get the best deal, so we encourage you to check with them, too: