Before you donate, check the organization’s tax exempt status

Want to know if the the exempt organization that you are planning to donate to is elgible to receive charitble contributions or had their exempt status revoked?

Go here:

Tip: If you do not know the organization’s EIN, just leave it blank.

Churchs may not be required to file IRS Form 990 in many cases. See IRS Publication 1828  page 22 (at the bottom of the Filing Requirement Chart) lists Exceptions to file Form 990, 990-EZ and 990-N

The following is a list of some of the organizations that are not required to file Form 990, 990EZ or 990-N:

  • Churches (as opposed to “religious organizations,” defined earlier)
  • Inter-church organizations of local units of a church
  • Mission societies sponsored by or affiliated with one or more churches or church denomination, if more than half of the activities are conducted in, or directed at, persons in foreign countries
  • An exclusively religious activity of any religious order

See the form instructions for a list of other organizations that are not required to file.  Some congregations that have unrelated business income must file a IRS Form 990 T to report unrelated business income tax (UBIT).